Total Pageviews

Monday, November 14, 2011

Influence of Television on Desire

After a brief conversation with Mr. Rob Trahan yesterday I discovered how often a craving or desire is induced from a simple series of actions or repetition on a television show. We recognized that after the both of us had watched the Big Bang Theory, that the common meals of Thai food they ate without letup every Thursday had resulted in our own personal hankering for this cuisine. The more we discussed the matter, the more it became apparent that it was more than this that held true to be an influence on me. Their repetitive use of only Fiji water, their schedule of watching old superhero movies, and even their arrangement of their cereals, organized based on fiber content. All of these factors had worn off on me over the course of watching this series. The thought that a simple show could induce a particular behavior and set of actions without that even as a primary intention is truly astonishing. Through this I began analyzing other habits I had picked up from watching my regular series, and sure enough, there were plenty to which I had never given thought. I suggest as a daily exercise you just meditate on your daily schedule, your habits, and likes as well as dislikes and contrast them to your common television series to see what you come up with. It's likely that over the course of time you have developed tendencies like that of common characters on television.

No comments:

Post a Comment